Welcome to Fringe File! As a service to our audience and our community of performing arts producers, Minnesota Fringe publishes a listing of Twin Cities shows that offer ticket discounts with a Fringe button.
Fringe File is most useful to the audience when the information is quickly scannable—the listings are meant to be browsed like a menu. To make the listings as consistent and usable as we can, we've adopted this form to present each show's information in a uniform way.
Fringe File guidelines and image specifications
Back to top
1. Fringe File listings are limited to ticketed performing arts events that offer Fringe button discounts. Each event listing, regardless of run dates, may be published in no more than two editions of Fringe File. Listings do not have to be consecutive. We place this limitation on Fringe File listings to provide a focus for the end users; this way, our readers can associate Fringe File with current theater discounts. Fringe File is a call-to-action for people looking for something to do.
2. A "performing arts event" is defined as an individual show (e.g., "Adventures in Mating" at Bryant-Lake Bowl) or a multiple event festival (e.g., Heliotrope). Shows that are part of a multiple-show festival will not be listed individually. Standing discounts and season discounts will not be published. Because Fringe File comes out every two weeks, we want to keep the content fresh and engaging. Fringe File should be seen by readers as a go-to resource for events that are happening now.
3. Each producer is limited to a total of eight individual listings per editorial year (September 1 through August 31).
4. To qualify for inclusion in Fringe File, producers must promote the Fringe button discount on any promotional material that mentions discounts. For example, mentioning a senior ticket price without mentioning the Fringe button discount would disqualify a producer from having a published listing. To promote your Fringe button discount, we encourage you to download high- and Web-resolution versions of a button discount badge from fringefestival.org. Using the Fringe discount badge on your marketing materials will immediately let the thousands of people who have Fringe buttons know you offer a discount especially for them.
5. Listings include a show description that is limited to 300 characters. Fringe will not edit listings but may reject listings if they violate the following style guidelines:
A. No all-capital phrases or sentences.
B. Show titles must appear in "quotes," not with _underscores_ or CAPITALS.
C. No HTML accepted within the description.
D. No line breaks, links or URLs within the description.
E. No bold or italics within the description.
F. No ticket prices within the show description.
To make Fringe File as useful as possible for our readers—and the producers who offer Fringe button discounts—we are keeping listings short and punchy. This is an advertisement for you, the producer, so keep it short, simple and straightforward: this is a place to whet your potential audience's appetite, not provide them with a whole meal's worth of details about your show.
Because this is targeted to a Fringe audience, we also don't allow listings for discounts or ticket prices not directly tied to a Fringe button. Again, to increase the effectiveness of not just your listing but Fringe File as a whole, it's important to maintain focus on what our readers want—and what they expect to receive from Minnesota Fringe.
6. Although not required, we strongly encourage producers to also submit an image for their listing. Listings that include an image look more professional, are more eye-catching and generally rock a lot harder than text-only listings.
A. Final image size is 250 pixels horizontal by 250 pixels vertical.
B. Fringe will crop any Fringe File image that doesn't fit those dimensions. While we will do everything we can to maintain the integrity of the image, please be aware some elements may be cropped out.
C. We accept JPEG format (for photos) and GIF or PNG (for illustrations). Photos are recommended over illustrations.
D. Document weight (file size) should be no greater than 20k.
E. Color is preferred; black-and-white is accepted.
F. Please do not submit a postcard design. Any writing, logos, etc., on the image may be too small to be readable, become distorted or get cropped.
G. Submit your files to Mark Franko at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. When the email is compiled, listings are sorted randomly.
Fringe File is published every two weeks. Note: Fringe File is not published in July or August.
To be included in Fringe File, show listings must be received no later than 9 a.m. the day of publication.
Back to top